Monday, August 14, 2017

Brandon University campus as viewed from 18th Street and Lorne Avenue

The controversy over the intended hedges removal from the edge of BU campus along 18th Street seemed to have pumped me to come to this spot to paint this morning despite of the humid weather. Personally, I find it totally unnecessary to spent money and effort on removing the hedges that have been functioning so well over half a century. I just do not see anything negative caused by the hedges. It is not so intrusive as a brick wall. I tend to come to this spot to paint over the years simply because this view of Brandon University is the very first I got to see as part of Brandon 27 years ago when I first received the application package from BU back in China: this view of BU was on the cover of its 1990 -1991 course registration calendar book . And it is also the very first glimpse of BU campus I saw on the very first morning I came to Brandon from China when I first stayed on the corner of 15th Street and Lorne Avenue. Painting anything BU always brings back my fond memory of BU in particular and Brandon as a whole. Without BU, never would I have been likely to call Brandon home for the last 25 years. As I was standing there on the corner of 18th Street and Lorne Avenue painting, this morning , I saw so many international students passing by on their way to and from campus, I could not help noticing how much the demographic landscape has changed over the past two decades here in Brandon as a city. Brandon University is obviously the force behind this change. As I was driving away after finishing my painting, I switched on CBC radio 2, there on the air is Jocelyn Morlock 's Aeromancy for two cellos , there came the BU connection again! I got to know her way way back in the early 90s when I first came to study at BU. Jocelyn Morlock, next time you come to Brandon, I would like to see you again !

No comments:

Post a Comment